Saturday 12 August 2017

Everybody Hurts by Joanna Nadin and Anthony McGowan

Synopsis (from Goodreads

Pages: 352
Publisher: ATOM 
Released: 3rd of August 2017 

Matt and Sophia live in the same city, but they come from opposite sides of the track. By rights they should never have met. They definitely should never have fallen in love at first sight, of all cliches.

But, to their great surprise, they do. That's the easy part. It's what to do next that they struggle with. 

Friends, family and circumstance are mostly against them. They betray themselves; then they betray each other. And in the end they learn, the hard way, what it takes for love to survive. 

It's true what they say. Everybody hurts sometimes. But sometimes, too, the pain is worth it.

What I Have to Say 

I liked this book more than I thought I would at first. The characters were the sort that you can grow to like very quickly. But while I enjoyed Joanna Nadin's bits very much, I think Anthony McGowan is a little too gritty an author for me. I don't enjoy the sorts of books that have fights with rubbish in and dead cats. They just aren't for me. 

Aside from that though, I did really enjoy the book. Both characters were well written and I loved the way they interacted. The side characters were good as well, setting a good scene for the novel, filling Sophia's posh life and Matt's slightly rougher life really well. I especially like the way their parents were so different, Sophia's quite strict uptight mother compared with the more relaxed parents of Matt. 

The story was very dramatic and really surprised me with it's twists and turns. I really enjoyed how it turned out. 




My thanks go to Netgalley and Atom for providing me with this copy for review.




No comments:

Post a Comment