Tuesday 3 January 2017

Simon Says by Robert Armstrong

Synopsis (from Goodreads

Pages: 102
Publisher: Austin Macauley
Released: 30th of November 2016

Hello there, Cherished Reader, I am Rebecca Sweet, self-confessed drama queen and games-playing schemer! I found myself friendless in my new residence of Jamestown, and Diary Dearest became my confidante. Unfortunately, while I was distracted, someone managed to steal her and her bitter innards from the safety of my room. And so began a chilling tale of cat and mouse with the elusive, letter-writing Simon.
I became determined to find out my tormentor's identity, although it took me to the darkest and most dangerous of booby-trapped places, complete with fearsome creatures and even the undead. 
It seemed someone in Jamestown did not want me to become the heroine, Nora, in the school play Vampire's Lady. However, Patient Reader, I am Becky Sweet, and I have tricks up my sleeve!

What I Have to Say 

This book was a complete and utter disappointment. The idea had a lot of potential and I will admit that when I picked it up I did feel it could go either way, but that didn't do anything to lessen the gut-wrenching disappointment I felt as I read it. If it wasn't a mere 102 pages, I would have put it down. 

I wish so much that there was something I could say to soften this review even slightly, but there was literally nothing I liked about it. The main character, Rebecca was an awful person who was clearly some kind of psychopath who's mind went straight to planning a murder as revenge, without a single moral quandary about doing so.   

I'm just so sad it didn't live up to my hopes of it. 


My thanks go to the publisher for providing me with this copy for review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment