Thursday 12 January 2017

A Girl Called Owl by Amy Wilson

Synopsis (from Goodreads

Pages: 336
Publisher: Macmillan Children's Books 
Released: 26th of January 2017 

It's bad enough having a mum dippy enough to name you Owl, but when you've got a dad you've never met, a best friend who needs you more than ever, and a new boy at school giving you weird looks, there's not a lot of room for much else. 

So when Owl starts seeing strange frost patterns on her skin, she's tempted to just burrow down under the duvet and forget all about it. Could her strange new powers be linked to her mysterious father?And what will happen when she enters the magical world of winter for the first time?

What I Have to Say 

An interesting new take on the myths and legends that surround the seasons, A Girl Called Owl explores the suffering of a young girl who doesn't know who her father is and has a mother who doesn't seem to be willing to share a single detail but fairy tails, and what happens when those fairy tails turn out to not be quite the stories they seem to be. 

The desperation that Owl shows on wanting a father is shown beautifully and juxtaposed against the subplot of her friend's trouble with her parents separation. But I feel as though the fight between them was pushed in for no reason but to create conflict. From the start, Owl's friend was on her side believing her, so I feel like if Owl had been honest with her from the start, nothing would have happened. 

All in all, I did really like this book and the mythology it explored, but I felt it could have been a bit more thought out and crafted. 



My thanks go to Netgalley and Macmillan for providing me with this copy for review. 

2 comments:

  1. I liked this book - especially the idea of the elemental beings and their personalities. I agree though I wanted something a bit ... more, from it though. This felt very much like a set up sort of book so I imagine there will be a sequel at some point. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! It was a good book but it felt like it should be more. I think a series would be quite cool.

      Thanks for the comment :)

      Delete