Saturday 9 July 2016

The Raven's Call by Kris Humphrey

Synopsis (from Netgalley

Pages: 224
Publisher: Stripes Publishing 
Released: 14th of July 2016 
Other Books in the Series: 
            A Whisper of Wolves
           Warning Cry
            Gathering Voices 

When a raven drops a white feather at the doorstep on the day of your birth, it is a symbol of your destiny. You are a Whisperer – a guardian of the wild.

As Dawn races to find the earthstone – the final link in the battle against the Narlaw – Ona struggles to keep control as the situation in the capital reaches crisis point. Can the young Whisperers of Meridina banish the shape-shifting demons once and for all? 

What I Have to Say 

A great end to the series! It was dramatic and thrilling enough to satisfy me with such clever use of their powers and unique skill sets. I definitely liked this series a lot, but I do feel that it had more potential than it fulfilled. 

As I said in my review of Gathering Voices, there are just too many characters to keep track of and the shifting perspectives between them have made it so that you get to know one in a previous book and then never hear from them again. I think if it had stuck to maybe three to five points of view and revisited each of them in every book then I might have kept better track of them, but I got to this book and found that I'd completely forgotten Alice even though she was such an important character in the first book. 

Still I think that if you're one of those people who rereads books over and over again then these girls could become beloved friends because they are all well defined and lovely characters, it's just there's not enough of each character's voice. 


My thanks go to Stripes and Netgalley for providing me with this copy for review. 

1 comment:

  1. I quite enjoyed the first book of this series, and keep meaning to get to the other three. I'm glad you enjoyed this and that it was brought to a satisfying end.

    ReplyDelete