Monday 4 April 2016

Bookishly Ever After by Isabel Bandeira

Synopsis (from Goodreads

Pages: 378 
Publisher: Spencer Hill Contemporary 
Released: 9th of January 2016 

In a perfect world, sixteen-year-old Phoebe Martins’ life would be a book. Preferably a YA novel with magic and a hot paranormal love interest. Unfortunately, her life probably wouldn’t even qualify for a quiet contemporary. 

But when Phoebe finds out that Dev, the hottest guy in the clarinet section, might actually have a crush on her, she turns to her favorite books for advice. Phoebe overhauls her personality to become as awesome as her favorite heroines and win Dev’s heart. But if her plan fails, can she go back to her happy world of fictional boys after falling for the real thing?

What I Have to Say 

This book is basically a Buzzfeed article. You know one of those 10 Signs You Know You're a Booklover ones? It ticked every box, talking in a language of book boyfriends and the excitement when you see a new release. In it, I saw me, my friends and people I follow online who enthuse about books. It really was quite incredible to read a book that showed the passion for books that I feel every day. 

I'm not quite like the character. I don't tend to have book boyfriends (though I do know many people who do so there is absolutely no shame in it) but the enthusiasm was what really connected to me. The excitement of what going to the bookshelves and stroking all the beautiful covers feels like. I honestly didn't expect Phoebe to be so close to myself, but she was. 

The so very awkward crush on Dev was almost unnecessary to me, but it complimented the story really well and really showed what it feels like for a young girl pursuing her first crush. It showed how hard it is to come out of yourself and embrace real life, when really all you want to do is race back and hide with the books where it's safe.  

The only problem with this book for me, is actually not a problem for me at all. It's quite a common problem for me actually. Whenever there's an excerpt from made up book in a book, I always want to read the book! I would love to read about Melissa and the Victorian boy who lives in her mirror! I want to read more about all of the protagonists that Phoebe loves! 

I think it should be a rule in books that if you make up a fake book to have excerpts from, you should write that book as a companion. It's only fair. 


My thanks go to Netgalley and Spencer Hill Contemporary for providing me with this copy for review.  

No comments:

Post a Comment