Monday 21 September 2015

As Red As Blood by Salla Simukka

 Synopsis (from Goodreads

Pages: 238
Publisher: Hot Key Books 
Released: 7th of August 2014

Seventeen-year-old Lumikki Andersson is hardly your average teenager. She lives by herself in the city of Tampere, Finland, and has a firm rule to mind nobody's business but her own. But that rule is put to the test when she happens upon five hundred washed euro notes hanging up to dry in her school's darkroom, and it is shattered once Lumikki realises who owns them.

Caught in an increasingly tangled web of deception, corruption and danger, Lumikki finds herself navigating the Tampere's dark underbelly in the search to expose its shocking connection to the international drugs trade. Lumikki is smart, but is she smarter than a master criminal? Can she bring down the infamous 'Polar Bear' - or will she become another one of his victims?

What I Have to Say 

It took me a while to get into this book. I liked it a lot once I got into it, but there was a fair amount of time when I just wasn't engaged with it. The main character was interesting, though it was hard to get into her head. Towards the start it felt like she was just trying to be different. Though after a while, you begin to find out why she's the way she is and the reasons behind certain things she does. I found the understanding made her more interesting and not just someone trying to be different for the sake of it. 

The plot line also got a while to get started, but once it did, I really liked it. The suspense was good and I really liked the way they brought in Lumikki's name and the whole fairy tale/ snow white/ snow queen thing. 

I think it was good as thrillers go, but for me it just didn't feel like anything special. 

No comments:

Post a Comment