Thursday 25 June 2015

Almost Grace by Rosie Rowell

Synopsis (from Goodreads)

Pages: 224
Publisher: Hot Key Books
Released:  4th of June 2015

For the first time in my life I feel like there is a chink of light, another way. Spook's world is raw, cut down to what matters. He is the first person I've met who seems free.

Grace and her Cape Town friends are renting a house on the coast - after exams it's their rite of passage into adulthood. Yet 'maturity' means different things to each of them. Brett and Louisa have plans - university, travelling - but Grace is uncertain of her future. Anxiety drives her to take control of whatever she can, starting with her own body, and it is starting to worry those around her.

When Grace meets Spook - an older, nomadic surfer - their attraction is instant and his relaxed familiarity and assured confidence catch her off-guard. Can she allow herself to lose control, and fall in love?

What I Have to Say 

This book really wasn't for me. The story was entertaining enough and I liked the character enough as the dreamer traveller type. But that seemed like all she was really. And insecure person who was worried by her lack of purpose in life and trying to control things through an eating disorder. It just felt a bit like a stereotype. 

It got better as they found out more about Spook and things started to happen. But it wasn't really my sort of book. It wasn't what I was expecting. Although I did really like the South African setting because I don't really read many books like that. 

All in all, this might be a good book for people who like these gritty coming of age contemparies where a girl meets a strange man on the beach, but not for me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment