Thursday 9 April 2015

The It Girl by Katy Birchall

Synopsis (from Goodreads

Pages: 352
Publisher: Egmont
Released: 7th of May 2015

Everybody wants to be a famous It Girl. Don't they?

Anna Huntley's aims in life:

1) Must keep my two lovely new (and only) school friends by not doing anything in usual manner of socially inept dork and outcast.

2) Train Dog (my labrador) to high-five. This is probably the most ambitious life goal on this list.

3) Do not set the school's Deputy Queen Bee mean girl's hair on fire (again).

4) Work out whether 2) and 3) constitute being socially inept or outcastish.

5) Go to Africa and give out rice.

6) To hide in a cupboard FOR LIFE with Dog now Dad is engaged to one of the most famous actresses EVER, the paparazzi want to spash my face all over the papers and everyone in school (and The World) is soon to discover the level of my social ineptitude.

7) Is rice a bit done now? Maybe I can give out chocolate in Africa too. I do like chocolate. Must work out how to do it from the cupboard... 

What I Have To Say 

I don't know about anyone else, but I would love to have a friend like Anna! I think she's wonderful and hilarious and I would gladly have someone to act out scenes from the Lion King with. My dog may even be small enough to life up like Simba during the Circle of Life! Although she might be a bit too wriggly and over-excited... 

The book was quirky, funny and full of lists (I like lists in books). It was full of hilarious happenings from a very quirky characters, who I loved. Although it had a bit too much of the ideology that nerdy equals bad, I loved it from start to finish. 

Some of the background characters didn't really have much personality, or were stereotypes (school mean girl and her friends), but Anna certainly had enough personality to carry the whole thing. I have never seen a character quite like her. She reminded me very much of myself as a teenager. 

I would recommend this book to anyone who's looking for a nice quirky funny book as it's definitely very uplifting. 


2 comments: