Monday 20 April 2015

The Disappearance of Emily H. by Barrie Summy

Synopsis (from Goodreads

Pages: 256
Publisher: Random House Children's Books 
Released: 12th of May 2015

A girl who can see the past tries to save the future in this compelling tween mystery.
 
A girl is missing. Three girls are lying. One girl can get to the truth.
 
Emily Huvar vanished without a trace. And the clues are right beneath Raine’s fingertips. Literally. Raine isn’t like other eighth graders. One touch of a glittering sparkle that only Raine can see, and she’s swept into a memory from the past. If she touches enough sparkles, she can piece together what happened to Emily.
 
When Raine realizes that the cliquey group of girls making her life miserable know more than they’re letting on about Emily’s disappearance, she has to do something. She’ll use her supernatural gift for good . . . to fight evil.
 
But is it too late to save Emily? 

What I Have to Say 

This was actually really good. I wasn't sure after reading the blurb which way it could go, especially since I've had some really bad books from Netgalley. But apparently I've gotten better at finding the good ones, because I really enjoyed reading the Disappearance of Emily H. In fact, I think the only complaint I really have of it is that it was too short! 

I found Raine's character really intriguing and really enjoyed the parts were she was exploring her gift. It's strange that it's quite a common gift that is used by psychics, but in literature I haven't seen that much of psychometry. It seems like the sort of thing that would thrive in YA especially. 

I also found the mystery element was done really well. At first I thought that it was a bit predictable, since it seemed that everything that happened to Emily was presented from the very start, but it really surprised me. 

 This book is a lovely Middle Grade mystery. 


No comments:

Post a Comment