Thursday 26 February 2015

The Scandalous Sisterhood of Prickwillow Place by Julie Berry

Synopsis (from Goodreads)

My thanks go to Hot Key Books and Piccadilly Press for providing me with this copy. 

Pages: 326
Publisher: Piccadilly Press
Released: 1st of January 2015 (first published 2014)

An outrageous plot of villainy starring seven brilliant young girls.

At Prickwillow Place, Disgraceful Mary Jane, Smooth Kitty and their fellow students are keeping a deadly secret.

When the headmistress of St Etheldreda's School for Young Ladies drops dead at Sunday dinner, her seven pupils agree on a clever scheme: to bury their teacher in the vegetable garden, dress up Stout Alice in her place, and educate themselves. This is tricky enough in a small Victorian community, but when the girls deduce that their teacher was poisoned - (it was the veal!) - they realise there is also a murderer on the prowl . . . 

What I Have To Say

At first, this book was a little hard to read. There were seven main characters all with different sobriquet that are all doing different things. Surprisingly though, after a few chapters I got enthralled in their worlds, in their different characteristics and ways of speaking and looking at things. Now that I have finished, I'm rather sad to not be reading about them anymore. 

The plot is not meant to be taken seriously. It's farcical humour fits well with the variety of characters, both the students of St Etheldreda's and the townspeople of Ely. Though it is the kind of plot where it is obviously going to end with the girls being discovered, there were so many twists and turns that by the end of it, I had no clue how they would be discovered or who the murderer was. 

I really am going to miss these character. I really, really hope that the author will write more about them. I could see Pocked Louise leading the other girls into investigating other mysteries in Ely. Perhaps they could end up with some sort of Enid Blyton style investigative team? I just hope that there will be more books. 



No comments:

Post a Comment