Monday 9 February 2015

The Glory by Lauren St. John

Synopsis (from Goodreads

Pages: 320
Publisher: Orion's Children Books
Released: 5th of March 2015

A Girl on the Run from the Law

Alexandra Blakewood has everything any teenager could wish for, apart from the horse she'd love, but she won't stop getting into trouble. Sent to a US boot camp, she dreams of escaping. It seems impossible until she's told about a gruelling 1,200 mile horse race across the American West...

A Boy on a Mission to Save a Life

Will Greyton was the star student at his Tennessee high school until his father was laid off. Now Will works at a burger joint. When his dad falls ill, it seems things can't get any worse. An operation will save him, but there's no way to pay for it. Then Will hears about The Glory, a deadly endurance race with a $250,000 purse, open to any rider daring enough to attempt it... 

What I Have to Say 

This book took me right back to my childhood of reading books about girls with their own ponies, or longing for their own ponies or just going every day to their locals stables every day. I am not even going to deny that I read a lot of these books. I wasn't quite one of the girls who helped out at the stable on weekends, but I took riding lessons so I know a bit about horses.

I really liked the movie, Hidalgo when I was younger too, so it brought me back to that. I love the idea of surviving out in the wild, of trekking across country with just a horse and a pack of supplies. Obviously not enough to do it in real life, but I like to read about it.

The characters were really easy to get to know and feel for. I loved their relationship with their horses most of all. At first having Alex taking the horse seemed a bit unrealistic, but it really grew on me and I really found myself loving them together by the end of it.

The best bit was how tense and exciting it was. It really surprised me, especially towards the end.

I definitely need to read more from this author.


No comments:

Post a Comment