Thursday 11 December 2014

Brood by Chase Novak

Synopsis (from Goodreads

My thanks go to BookBridgr and Mulholland Books for provide me with this copy. 

Pages: 320
Publisher: Mullholland Books
Released: 7th of October 2014

Two teenagers struggle with a horrific family legacy, and the woman who has adopted them fights for their lives--and her own.

Adam and Alice are reaching the age when some of the children created by the fertility treatment that spawned them begin to turn feral. Will they succomb to the same physiological horror that destroyed their parents? Every change brings on terror--the voice cracking as it changes, the swelling of the breasts, the coarsening of down into actual hair. Their aunt, Cynthia, oversees renovations to the Twisden family's Manhattan residence--torn apart by the children's parents at their most savage--and struggles to give her niece and nephew the unconditional love they never had. Meanwhile, in the world outside, the forces of good and evil collide as a troop of feral offspring threatens to invade the refuge Cynthia is so determined to construct behind the Twisdens' walls.

What I Have To Say

I had no idea that this was a sequel until about five minutes ago, so that shows I need to do more research into the books I review. But even so, it didn't read like a sequel. If books do then I normally stop reading until I can get the book before it. The issues I had with this book had nothing to do with it being a sequel as far as I can tell. 

I really just didn't get into it. The writing wasn't that thrilling to me, especially as there were a lot of characters to keep track of. But I think mostly it was that I wasn't in the mood for this sort of book. It was just a bit slow. 

I also thought that the children didn't show enough trauma. There was a sort of head nod to the trauma, but after what they'd been through it should have affected them and the other wild children, far more than it was in the book. 

This book wasn't bad, it just wasn't for me really. 


No comments:

Post a Comment