Thursday 23 October 2014

The Fall by Bethany Griffin

Synopsis (from Goodreads

Pages: 400
Publisher: Orion 
Release: 2nd of October 2014

For Madeline, the House of Usher is a nightmare to live in - but impossible to leave - in this brand new Gothic novel from Bethany Griffin, author of the Masque of the Red Death sequence.
Madeline and her twin brother Roderick have the Usher name, the Usher house - and the Usher disease. Something is wrong with the family's blood - and it seems to have spread to the house itself. Sometimes Madeline even thinks that the house is alive... When Roderick is sent away to school, the house seems to want revenge on the one member of the Usher family left behind: Madeline herself.

What I Have To Say 

I didn't really find this that scary. It was creepy, but not too bad. As with The Masque of the Red Death the story and the writing was really good. Though I think I would have preferred more creepiness. More despair and desperation. I guess I was just expected more madness than there was.

I liked the concept of the house wanting and feeling things. I liked how Madeline was almost refering to it as another character. It really did make the house feel more alive, like a living creature.

This book really made me want to read the original story. I don't read much Poe, but I think I might start.

Looking forward to the next book from Bethany Griffin.



2 comments:

  1. I wasn't as impressed by this as I wanted to be, unfortunately, so I put it down for a bit. Hopefully I'll pick it back up again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm generally not a fan of horror books, except when it comes to Gothic classics. And so The Fall was a pleasant surprise. I liked the slow creepiness of the story and the bite-sized chapters. I liked the world building of the House and that the House was the world. This is one of the few books I've read recently that I would actually go back and read again.
    View this site for Indiana Health Insurance website

    ReplyDelete