Sunday 3 August 2014

The Making Of the Solitaire Cake

For those of you that don't know, Waterstones Birmingham High Street, kindly agreed to let me make a book cover cake for the launch of Alice Oseman's Solitaire. So I thought I'd make a post showing exactly how I did it.


I started with a basic sponge cake and added chocolate fudge buttercream icing, then covered it in fondant icing (with a ton of food colouring to make it black).

I had a lot of luck with the chocolate balls I found, 'cause they were almost the same colour as the book. To get them into the right shape I cut a heart shape out of grease proof paper and laid it on top of the cake.



So then it was just a case of putting the writing on, which was probably the hardest bit. Luckily, I found a tip online to use a toothpick to draw out the letters first.



What do you think? Have you ever tried to do book-themed baking. I'd love to hear your stories. 



No comments:

Post a Comment