Thursday 15 May 2014

Fire & Flood by Victoria Scott

Synopsis (from Goodreads)

Pages: 305
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Released: 25th of February 2014

Tella Holloway is losing it. Her brother is sick, and when a dozen doctors can't determine what's wrong, her parents decide to move to Montana for the fresh air. She's lost her friends, her parents are driving her crazy, her brother is dying—and she's helpless to change anything.

Until she receives mysterious instructions on how to become a Contender in the Brimstone Bleed. It's an epic race across jungle, desert, ocean, and mountain that could win her the prize she desperately desires: the Cure for her brother's illness. But all the Contenders are after the Cure for people they love, and there's no guarantee that Tella (or any of them) will survive the race.

The jungle is terrifying, the clock is ticking, and Tella knows she can't trust the allies she makes. And one big question emerges: Why have so many fallen sick in the first place?
B

What I Have To Say

I liked this book. I liked the writing. I liked the premise, though it really could have used some work. But the main character was pathetic. She didn't really do anything. She relied on other people to look after her. She jumped in a river and only ended up needing saving herself. 

I'm not saying that it ruined the book for me. I enjoyed it. But I do think that this book could have been incredible, but wasn't. I just really hope that she starts becoming a bit more capable in the future. She did seem to be developing that way. So hopefully it'll continue. 

I really, really loved her pandora though. He was so adorable and had such a great power. I don't want to admit to carrying on with a series just for a animal character, but... Just kidding. I'm looking forward to the next book as I think it could become something great. 

No comments:

Post a Comment