Thursday 17 April 2014

Snow, White by Keith Austin

Synopsis (from Goodreads)

My thanks go to Netgalley and Red Fox for providing me with this e-arc.

Pages: 400
Publisher: Red Fox
Released: 8th of May 2014

John Creed's nights are haunted by dreams of a white wolf, his days by the hideous class bully. He's a loner with a stutter and his home-life - with an eccentric grandfather who wants to teach him folklore and ancient languages - is isolated and unusual.

 But then John makes a friend - Fyre. She's as unusual as John and has her own secrets to keep, but as the truth about John's past starts to emerge, she's the best ally he's got . . .

What I Have To Say

I really wasn't sure what to expect from this book. Even as I got into it, the story was really slow to start. It wasn't dull, stuff happened and it didn't drag, but it all just seemed to be setting up. It was John just going to school and his relationships with the other characters, which, while being relevant, felt a little pointless. 

The plot itself was good though, I enjoyed it once I got into it and really liked how the epilogue was done. The sparrows were really cool as well, it was an interesting idea and I think it was pulled off well. 

I've been fairly negative in this review, but I did enjoy it. It was a bit written down, which I think is quite common in this age bracket (though I really don't think it should be). But it was an enjoyable story and it didn't drag despite the vagueness of the start. Good for younger teens who want a adventure and a bit of violence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment