Monday 6 August 2012

Dear Dylan... by Siobhan Curham

Synopsis (from Goodreads)

Pages: 288
Publisher: Electric Monkey
Released: 2nd of April 2012

My thanks go to the author for providing me with this copy.

A first crush. An unexpected friendship. A dream come true. 

Dear Dylan! Thanks so much for your email and I'm sorry about my last one when I said I love you. I hope you don't think I'm a weirdo mentalist?!!! It's just that I was watching Oprah yesterday and she said we should all say we love each other a whole lot more. Not to everyone of course. There's no way I'd tell my scummy step-dad that I love him because that would be lying. But the thing is, sometimes when I watch you on TV, I feel as if you're talking just to me and it makes me feel less alone. I know you probably get loads and loads of fan mail but I wanted to ask you - could we be e-mates? Yours hopefully, Georgie xxx

What I Have to Say

 So good! The style was really cool, with all the emails. It felt like actually reading through a couple of people's private emails and finding out the story that way. 


The author also didn't dance around the whole strangers-on-the-Internet issue. She puts the anonymity of the Internet at the front of the story and doesn't just ignore it, which is a really good way of doing it, because it's accepting that the issue is there without making a big thing out of it. 


The characters were also really engaging and, as I said, it was told through emails, which made it feel much more real. 


Curham was also very subtle about the plot points. She sets things up slowly so that the reader can sense that something is wrong. Things like the way that Tone-deaf treats Georgie, also Angelica getting sick. 


This is an especially good book to read if you have any interest in acting, as acting is so essential to the plot and there's a lot of really good advice in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment