Wednesday 4 July 2012

Fiktshun's Soul Screamers Reading Challenge: Before I Wake by Rachel Vincent

BIW Mini Challenge



Synopsis (from Goodreads)

Pages:  339
Publisher: MIRA Ink
Published: 6th of July 2012 (UK)
  
I died on a Thursday-killed by a monster intent on stealing my soul. The good news? He didn't get it. The bad news? Turns out not even death will get you out of high school...  Covering up her own murder was one thing, but faking life is much harder than Kaylee Cavanaugh expected. After weeks spent "recovering," she's back in school, fighting to stay visible to the human world, struggling to fit in with her friends and planning time alone with her new reaper boyfriend. But to earn her keep in the human world, Kaylee must reclaim stolen souls, and when her first assignment brings her face-to-face with an old foe, she knows the game has changed. Her immortal status won't keep her safe. And this time Kaylee isn't just gambling with her own life...

What I Have to Say 

Rachel Vincent is so cruel to her characters. She hurts them viciously and makes me cry. This is why I love her books so much! I don't know what it is about me as a reader, but I love books that make me really upset for the characters. 

This series, it's just so good. I cannot wait for the next book, but it's going to be a whole year!! How can I wait so long? 



As I said in my review of If I Die, I was really interested to see how Kaylee developed after the end of If I Die and Vincent didn't disappoint! It's brought a whole new level to the character with the new powers she has and the new challenges she faces. And a whole new level of emotion :'( 


Her relationship with Tod is moving really fast too. I can see why, and the whole situation that she's in completely explains it. I like that it's moving fast, I think. It feels right. And I'm coming to terms with the whole Kaylee and Tod thing. I mean, I still think Tod and Emma would be wonderful together, but I've accepted him with Kaylee. 


All in all, I think that If I Die is still my favourite book in the Soul Screamers series. But Before I Wake is a brilliant follow up book and I can't wait for the next book. Though that will be the last in the series! :'( I don't want this series to be over!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment